Comfort Beef Stew
- 1 bag (750 g) Arctic Gardens Oriental Style vegetables
- 2-1/2 lb (1.125 kg) lean boneless stewing beef (chuck recommended)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) butter
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) pepper
- 1 tsp (5 mL) crushed dried thyme
- 1 tsp (5 mL) crushed dried marjoram
- 4 cups (1 L) sodium-reduced beef broth or water
- 8 small potatoes (about 1 lb/450 g)
- 1 can (28 oz / 796 mL) diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped fresh parsley or 2 tbsp (30 mL) dried
- Cut beef into 1-inch (2.5 cm) cubes In heavy saucepan, over medium-high heat; heat oil and 1 tbsp of the butter. Brown meat all over. Remove and set aside.
- In same saucepan, melt remaining butter; stir in flour to make roux (paste). Add salt, pepper, thyme and marjoram. Pour in broth, scraping up browned bits with wooden spoon. Return meat to pan; simmer, partially covered, until beef is tender, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Peel potatoes and cube. Drain tomatoes, reserving 1 cup (250 mL) juice.
- Add potatoes, tomatoes, juice and Arctic Gardens MIX Oriental Style vegetables to stew. Cover and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 40 minutes.
- Sprinkle with parsley.
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
Protein: 55 g
Fat: 18 g
Carbohydrate: 42 g
Fibre: 7 g
Sodium: 700 mg
Recipe ideas using this product
Cooking time15 minutes
Cooking time10 minutes
Cooking time25 minutes
Cooking time18 minutes