The recipes we love
Cold corn soup with pineapple & shrimp salsa
6 cups (1 bag of 750g)
500ml (2 cups) 5% cream
1 liter (4 cups) vegetable or chicken stock reduced in salt
60 ml (1/4 cup) long grain rice
Salsa & Presentation
250 ml (1 cup) diced pineapple
To taste, diced jalapenos
30 mL (2 tbsp.) chopped cilantro
30 mL (2 tablespoons) finely chopped red onion
½ lime, juice and zest
30 mL (2 tbsp.) butter
5 mL (1 tsp.) smoked paprika
12 medium shrimp (4 diced and 8 whole for presentation)
1. In a saucepan, combine corn, cream, broth, rice and bring to a boil.
2. Reduce heat to medium and simmer 15 minutes or until rice is cooked, stirring regularly to prevent sticking.
3. Puree in a blender and strain.
4. Refrigerate until soup is cold, at least 1 hour.
5. Adjust the consistency of the soup as needed by adding a little cold broth
6. in a frying pan, melt butter with smoked paprika and fry shrimp until cooked. Cool the shrimp completely.
7. In a bowl, combine diced pineapple, jalapenos, cilantro, onions, lime juice, lime zest and diced shrimp. Adjust seasoning if necessary.
8. Ladle the chilled soup into bowls and add 30ml (2 tbsp) of Salsa on top and 2 whole shrimps. Serve immediately.
Corn soup tends to thicken as it cools, so if you plan to prepare it ahead of time, you may need to adjust the consistency by adding a little cold vegetable broth before serving