The recipes we love
Corn ice cream
2 cups (500 ml) Arctic Gardens super sweet corn , thawed
1 cup (250 ml) milk
1 cup (250 ml) heavy cream 35%
4 egg yolks
½ cup (125 ml) sugar
1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla
1. In a food process, process the corn niblets in the milk. Pour into a casserole dish, add the cream and heat at medium high, stirring frequently for 15 minutes. Do not let the mixture come to a boil.
2. In the meantime, blanch the egg yolks in the sugar.
3. Add a little bit of the hot corn mixture to the egg yolks and stir while reheating.
4. Pour into a casserole dish and heat on low while stirring constantly about 10 minutes or until the mixture thickens to a thick, creamy consistency similar to custard. If you have a cooking thermometer, cook until 84 degree celcius.
5. Add vanilla.
6. Strain through a sieve, add vanilla and let cool. Then chill in the refrigerator.
7. If you have an ice cream maker, process the mixture according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Freeze for about 45 minutes before serving.
If you do not have an ice cream maker, pour the mixture into a large shallow dish and freeze for about 3 hours. Stir every hour. Process the ice cream in a food processor and return to the freezer for about 45 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
Protein: 6 g
Fat: 20 g
Carbohydrate: 33 g
Fibre: 1 g
Sodium: 42 mg