The recipes we love
Vegetable mac & cheese
1 lb (450 g) macaroni or other short pasta
2 cups (500 ml) milk
5 cups (1.25 litres) strong orange cheddar, grated
1 tbsp (15 ml) cornstarch
Salt and ground black pepper
- In a pot, bring salted water to a boil and cook vegetables for 10 to 15 minutes or until tender.
- In the meantime, in a large pot, bring salted water to a boil and cook pasta according to package instructions. Remove 1 minute before done.
- Drain the vegetables and transfer to a mixing bowl or food processor. Blend vegetables while gradually adding milk.
- Drain the pasta in a colander.
- In the pot used to cook the pasta, pour the contents into the mixing bowl and heat to medium.
- Coat with grated cheese, cornstarch and add to the pot while stirring with a wooden spoon. Allow to simmer until thickened.
- Add pasta, season to taste and serve.
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
Protein: 39 g
Fat: 36 g
Carbohydrate: 69 g
Fibre: 4 g
Sodium: 790 mg