The recipes we love
1 tbsp (15 ml) canola oil
1/2 cup (125 ml) cashews
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, chopped
1 cup (250 ml) basmati rice
2 tbsp (30 ml) tomato paste
2 cups (500 ml) vegetable or chicken broth
¼ cup (60 ml) raisins
2 cinnamon sticks
4 green cardamom pods
½ tsp (2 ml) turmeric
½ tsp (2 ml) ground cumin
Salt and ground black pepper
¼ cup (60 ml) freshly chopped cilantro
2 tbsp (30 ml) freshly chopped mint
- In a pan, heat oil on medium to roast cashews. Set aside in a small bowl.
- Return the pan back to the heat and sauté the garlic and onion for 2 minutes.
- Add the rice, tomato paste, broth, raisins and spices. Stir to incorporate the tomato paste. Season.
- Add the vegetables, stir and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Remove the cinnamon sticks and cardamom pods.
- Sprinkle with roasted cashews, cilantro and mint. Serve as a side dish.
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
Protein: 7 g
Fat: 7 g
Fibre: 3 g
Sodium: 140 mg